Saturday 21 December 2013

Diary of a College Kid: SIWES

As an undergraduate in Nigeria, participating in the Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme (SIWES) is really necessary. Therefore, shortly after my second semester exam, I was placed at Kamjay Farms situated in Ibeju-Lekki, where I resumed work last month. Still wondering why I chose a farm? Well for the recs, I am an Agric Tech student. 

Apart from enjoying the sea-side breeze and the Eleko hospitality, I have been neck-deep in a lot of agricultural activities such as working at the feed mill and engaging in poultry and catfish production. Thus far, I have learnt a lot about feed formulation, vaccinating and debeaking poultry birds, carrying out post-mortems and identifying various diseases that affect chickens (layers and growers). I am also familiar with the management practices involved in poultry and catfish production.

I and 18 other course mates in my department were placed in the same organization. So inevitably, I have been living in the same house with people of different characters and background. In the process, I have learnt about understanding one another and being conscious of the human psychology before taking any action. The whole scenario reminds me of Big Brother Africa if I may add. These days I tend to be more inquisitive; considering the fact that the manager at the farm where I was placed asks questions before signing my log book every week, and he expects I and my colleagues to reciprocate the gesture. SIWES has been fun. There have been ups and downs, but all the same I thank God for his grace. 
 
On a lighter note, the environment motivates me to explore the journalist lurking around in my sub conscious. By the way, before I complete my SIWES program in March, I plan on writing a story or article which will be centered on the lifestyle of most fishermen dwelling in this area. There is something about them, especially the Ghanaians, which fascinates me. In the course of me working here, several times, I have been privileged to meet the former Permanent Secretary to the Minister of Agriculture, who happens to own the farm. I also enjoy interacting with the doctor that visits the farm as a consultant. He has taught me quite a lot about animal health and I hope to learn more from him.

It’s your boy Feck, reporting live from Ibeju-lekki. Catch y’all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment