Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentine Thoughts: 'Is Love Really In The Air?'

So the valentine season is here again. Today, on my way out, I tried for the sake of curiosity to see how many people would wear the traditional all-red attire or anything with a touch of red. And I did see a couple on the streets of Lagos: mostly the female folks (Nigerian girls no dey carry last). A friend of mine asked me if I’ll join the band wagon, and my answer was “No! Sue me!” *lol* For me, St. Valentine’s Day is just like any other day. I mean, must I wait until it’s February 14th before I show love? Well personally I find it hard to adopt that stance where people tend to be affectionate only on a certain day. I try as much as possible to show love all the time, when I can.

And I find it somewhat awkward when some people say: “Love is in the air” without knowing what it really means. Some just use the quote because they want to tweet or update their Facebook status on Valentine’s Day. I have no problem with that, but I think it’s becoming played-out. However, imagine telling a poor woman who’s living in a war stricken country with her starving child that ‘love is in the air’. Don’t you think she’ll get offended? For her and other people in her shoes, the only thing in the air besides nitrogen and oxygen might be tear gas. In that situation, you can’t help but ask yourself: “Is LOVE really in the air?”

LOVE is the key word here and I feel a lot people are yet to have a grasp of what it really means. Love shouldn’t be an obligation or a task; love should be a way of life. Everyone wants to be loved and everyone needs to be loved. If you’re reading this now, I’m quite sure you’re used to this other quote: “There’s love in sharing” or you must have heard it from one or two people’s lips in recent times. But how many of us actually practice what we preach?

Without further ado, I’ll like to end this article with two words…SHOW LOVE! J

No comments:

Post a Comment